Kale & Turkey Caesar Salad with a Creamy Lime Dressing a.k.a. She-Must-Be- Lying-That-The-Dressing-is-Dairy-Free (NO, I’m not!)
GUYS, I don’t know about you but I FREAKING LOVE KALE SALADS. I’m that I-don’t-eat-it-because-I’m-supposed-to, genuinely-love-everything-about-it, crave-it-all-the-time, would-choose-it-over-most-things-on-a-menu, and can’t-get-enough-enough-of-it kind of girl. My commitment to kale is impressive (But not as impressive as my commitment to spinach, but we can talk about that another time).
(P.S. Just thought I’d thrown in some of the nutritional benefits of KALE since I’ve literally done so much research lately about all these news foods I’ve been incorporating into my diet. I’ve legit adopted the philosophy that life really is about eating to nourish your body & not simply, to live. It’s about knowing what’s going into your body and how it can benefit you & trust me, it’s SO REWARDING (Although, very time consuming. BUT HEY, the time & effort really seems effortless when you’re passionate about it!). OKAY OKAY, BACK TO THE BENEFITS OF KALE:
- Loaded with fiber (HELLO BABY!);
- Low in fat;
- High in iron;
- SUPER HIGH in Vitamin K (a.k.a. Potassium, which I have learned is a VITAL nutrient for maintaining HEART & NERVOUS SYSTEM HEALTH, a.k.a. IT’S ESSENTIAL TO NOURISH YOUR BODY & make sure you are getting enough of this baby);
- Filled with antioxidants to help prevent against various types of cancer;
- GREAT ANTI-INFLAMMATORY FOOD (Like ginger & turmeric!! a.k.a. Kale can help with bloating a.k.a. LIFE);
- Helps lower cholesterol (This one is especially useful for all you egg fiends!);
- High in Vitamin A (a.k.a. good for eye health & wait for it… YOUR SKIN! You all want flawless skin, right? SO, EAT YO KALE);
- High in Vitamin C (a.k.a. helpful for your immune system, METABOLISM – ZOMFG & very hydrating! I mean… who doesn’t want to improve their metabolism? Lez be honest);
- HIGH IN CALCIUM. Guys wait for it… per calorie, kale actually has MORE CALCIUM THAN MILK. Do you believe me? I swear. Like, isn’t milk the staple calcium food (or rather, drink?). WELL, THAT’S WHAT I THOUGHT TOO until I met kale & fell in love. No, but seriously, the high calcium levels can help prevent bone loss, osteoporosis & can help maintain a healthy metabolism (DOUBLE WHAMMY – SO AWESOME!! BRING ON THAT FAST METABOLISM);
- Kale is legit a DETOX FOOD given that it’s filled with fibre & sulfur. It can actually even help keep your liver healthy (And if you’re a big drinker – DON’T LIE. I KNOW WHAT YOU DO ON THE WEEKENDS. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED. – then this one’s for you lovies!). Plus, who doesn’t love a good detox, right?
ANYWHO, ALL THIS TO SAY, that KALE IS AWESOMELY GOOD & GOOD FOR YOU. KALE IS BASICALLY LIFE.
Now back to this beautiful salad. LOVIES, I whipped up this Kale & Turkey Caesar Salad with a Homemade Creamy Lime Dressing (that contains NO DAIRY, unless of course, you choose PARM over NUTRITIONAL YEAST, but really, how could you?! Shoutout to all my kosher followers!!!) & WELL, IT WAS BETTER THAN ANY CAESAR SALAD I HAVE EVER, AND I MEAN EVER, EATEN. WHY, you ask?
- The ingredients are super clean & healthy (When are they not, right?)
- I whipped up this babe in like NO TIME, a.k.a. she is the perfect quick, simple & easy lunch for when you’re in a hurry, a.k.a MOMMY DUTIES ARE CALLING or you’re just a FAB CAREER WOMAN/SAVVY BUSINESSMAN & ain’t nobody got time for that;
- The dressing is so freaking creamy, it’s ABNORMAL. it makes no sense that there is no dairy in it, IT JUST MAKES NO SENSE, but I swear I’m not lying my loves!;
- Basically, this babe is #saladgoals, satisfies my requirement to #eatyogreens & legit took me to Caesar Salad Heaven, so get ready my loves, ’cause you’ll be on your way there in no time!!!;
OK OK, “If this salad is so good, why can’t she just get right to it & tell us how to make it?* Fine. You’re right. That’s exactly what I’ll do RIGHT ABOUT NOW. In order to whip this beautiful baby up, you will need the following:
- 2 cups of chopped fresh kale (YOU SO PRETTY);
- 2 cups of chopped Romaine lettuce (YOU SO CRUNCHY);
- 3/4 cup of NUTRITIONAL YEAST (If you don’t like – because you’re nuts – or simply don’t have – also because you’re nuts – any nutritional yeast, you can totz. use Parmesan for this one, BUT KEEP IN MIND: that means your salad is no longer DAIRY-FREE. I WARNED YOU).
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes (SO JUICY, ZOMFG);
- 50g of oven-roasted turkey breast;
- 1 tbsp. of fresh basil;
- 1 tbsp. of fresh cilantro;
- 1 tbsp. of fresh dill;
- 1/2 cup of non-dairy yogurt (You can totally use some plain Greek yogurt as a sub for the non-dairy yogurt if that’s not a concern for you! OH THE CREAMINESS, GAH);
- 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast (YES, AGAIN. THIS TIME, IT’S FOR THE DRESSING, OK?);
- 3 tbsp. of fresh lime juice (SO NECESSARY. THIS LEGIT MAKES THE DRESSING);
- 1-2 tbsp. of extra-virgin olive oil (As always, I use the Maison Orphée organic one!);
- 2 tsp. of Worcestershire sauce;
- 1 tbsp. of pure organic maple syrup
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped;
- 1 tsp. of any Dijon mustard (LET THE MIND GO CRAY CRAY MY LOVES!);
- 1/4 tsp. of sea salt;
- a pinch of black ground pepper;
- 3-4 tbsp. of unsweetened organic almond milk (or any other plant-based milk. You can obvs use regular milk too BUT, keep in mind that the salad will no longer be DAIRY-FREE, OKAY?);
- OPTIONAL: CROUTONS! I’ll definitely try it with some croutons next time (It’s maybe the ONLY, yes, THE ONLY, thing this baby was missing, just for some extra crunch!).
THAT’S IT. YOU SEE? SO EASY! SO SIMPLE! Now, would you believe me if I told you that the assembly was even simpler? SWEAR. TO MAKE THIS BABE:
- Make the dressing: Add the non-dairy yogurt, nutritional yeast, lime juice, EVOO, Worcestershire sauce, maple syrup, garlic, Dijon, sea salt, pepper & almond milk to a bowl & WHISK ALL THIS WONDERFULNESS UNTIL A SCRUMPTIOUS CREAMY CONSISTENCY IS OBTAINED;
- Add the kale, Romaine, croutons (if you are using them), nutritional yeast (or Parmesan), tomatoes, fresh herbs & turkey to a large bowl! Toss the ingredients until combined;
- POUR THE BEAUTIFUL DRESSING OVER ALL THE VEGGIES & BAM!!!!!
My loves, this one is bound to become a classic for you!!! SHE IS THE ULTIMATE. PERFECT. DELICIOUS. HEALTHY. QUICK. EASY. SIMPLE. CAN’T-GET-ENOUGH LUNCH EVER!!! Please, try it out for yourselves & you will not regret it. PLUS, it’s so easy, so like, even if you’re lazy in the kitch (unlike moi, LAWLZ!), YOU CAN TOTZ. DO THIS. I SWEAR. JUST GET UP!!!!
How should she look, you ask? GAH, YOU’LL DIE WHEN YOU SEE THIS. P.S. Admit it. My photog. skills are just beyond. Now you can go dream about how you will be eating this baby tomorrow for lunch:
BON APPÉTIT MES AMOURS! BISOUS! <3