Carrot Cake Overnight Oats a.k.a. The-Reason-It’s-Okay-to-Have-Veggies-for-Breaky
Rise & shine lovebugs! J This morning, I wake you up with my Carrot Cake Overnight Oats a.k.a. The-Reason-It’s-Okay-to-Have-Veggies-for-Breaky (ALSO, JUST DIED & WENT TO CARROT HEAVEN). Throughout my recovery, I think it’s safe to say (& I think I’ve made it pretty darn obvious) that I have not only developed an obsession with cauli, but also with OVERNIGHT OATS. I’m legit an addict (THIS IS MY CRY FOR HELP. Somebody, Anybody, HELP!). OH & in case you are wondering, the answer is: NO, SAID OBSESSION WILL NEVER END.
These oats are SO, SO YUMMY. They are PERFECTLY SPICY & RAISIN-FILLED, ALL WHILE BEING SO SCRUMPTIOUSLY (& NATURALLY) SWEET a.k.a. these oats are the perfect balance between savoury & sweet (YOU KNOW, sugar & spice & everything nice). By the way, if you don’t like raisins, I do not like you & we cannot be friends. I’ll try to find you a substitute because I’m nice & all… but things just aren’t going to work out between us #sorrynotsorry.
Ok, so what’s in this perfect bowl of VEGETABLE-filled (Yes, I had veggies for breaky & you will be too by the middle of this post) goodness? Rolled oats, shredded carrots, maple syrup, cinnamon, banana, Greek yogurt, pure vanilla, raisins & almond milk. ZOMFG. Are you not drooling? I’m DYING. Guys, think about it for a second: the combination of the crunchy carrots, the creamy Greek yogurt, the crumbly oats, the savoury cinnamon, the sweet pure vanilla & maple syrup, the chewy & sugary raisins, the crisp blueberries & the nutty & crunchy pecans. I DIED. I JUST BROKE IT DOWN FOR YOU IN THE BEST WAY POSSIBLE. WOAH.
SINCE YOU WOKE UP TOO LATE, now you can’t make this perfect bowl of awesomeness for today’s breaky, but HEY, there’s always tomorrow! Let me tell you what you will need lovies:
- ½ cup of gluten-free rolled oats (I use Only Oats GF rolled oats, a.k.a. THE SH*T);
- ¼ cup of shredded carrot, finely grated;
- ½ tsp. of cinnamon (I use Simply Organic);
- 2 tbsp. of organic raisins (I use the ones by Prana Organic). Like I said, if you don’t like raisins, I don’t like you & we cannot be friends. BUT, BUT, BUT, I did promise to provide you with a raisin-alternative (even though it’s beyond me how you could not like these beautiful babies). ANYWHO, you can replace the raisins with dried cranberries & if those don’t float your boat either (OKAY, NOW YOU’RE REALLY TOO PICKY), you can replace them with some nuts (walnuts or pecans) or seeds (pumpkin or sesame seeds).
- ½ medium banana, MASHED, BABY, MASHED;
- ½ tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract (I use Simply Organic);
- 1 ½ – 2 tbsp. of pure organic maple syrup (I use Decacer brand). Whether you use 1 ½ or 2 tbsp. depends on how sweet you like your oats. OBV, I used two & my oats were the perfect amount of sweet, but it’s totally up to you!;
- 1 cup of unsweetened organic almond milk (I use Earth’s Own). If you prefer, you can use another plant-based milk or regular milk & if you decide to use the almond milk, you can totally use a flavoured one too, i.e. vanilla or chocolate, but I think vanilla would go best with the carrot flavour. YOU BE THE JUDGE. Like I said, I can’t decide EVERYTHING for you;
- 175g of Greek yogurt (or any yogurt of your choosing. LET YOUR MIND GO CRAY-CRAY, PEOPLE. This could get fun);
- OPTIONAL: I added ¼ cup of fresh blueberries, pecans & 1 tbsp. of my homemade (from scratch *taps shoulder*) Clean Eating Blackberry Jam (Uh, if it’s not sitting in your fridge in a mason jar yet, may I ask you what you are waiting for?).
Honestly, I don’t think there is a recipe that is simpler & easier to assemble than overnight oats. BUT, BUT, BUT, since there’s a first time for everything (& this might be your first time making them. GOD HELP YOU. TRUST ME, ONCE YOU GO OVERNIGHT OATS, YOU NEVER GO BACK!!!), I’ll tell you how to make ‘em:
- First, mix all your dry ingredients in a large bowl;
- Add in the wet ingredients & mix again (WARNING: As you combine each & every one, your bowl will continue to look & smell more and more like heaven, until you JUST CAN’T EVEN ANYMORE. But, please, RESIST TEMPTATION. These babies need time to thicken OVERNIGHT. Yep, I said OVERNIGHT. So give them the time they need. Please. You know what they say, time heals all.
- Place your OVERNIGHT (yes, I know, it’s really annoying that you need to wait but the wait is SO, SO WORTH IT, guys) in the refrigerator covered, OVERNIGHT.
- When the sun rises & wakes you up (or when your alarm rings all kinds of cray-cray), JUMP OUT OF BED. YOUR OATS ARE THICKENED. THEY’RE READY TO BE DEVOURED (GAH, life is beautiful). SERVE THEM COLD. TOP THEM WITH SOME GREEK YOGURT AND/OR OTHER MIX-INS (I added some blueberries, pecans & my Clean Eating Blackberry Jam) & BAM! (
- BTW, if you find your oats TOO THICK, for whatever reason you may deem valid, add a little more almond milk before DEVOURING!).
I think I may have told you guys this in my first overnight oats post, BUT, in case I forgot, these babies should actually stay YUMMY refrigerated for up to 3-4 days, so you can actually prepare a larger batch (a.k.a. double, triple or quadruple your recipe) & have breaky ready for ALMOST the entire week (Meal Prep, you are so awesome. You make my life so easy. I love you. YES GUYS, I just personified Meal Prep. Meal Prep is a person whom I love so very dearly).
P.S. THESE ARE BY & LARGE MY FAVE OVERNIGHT OATS I HAVE MADE THUS FAR & that, my loves, is saying A LOT, because THEY HAVE ALL BEEN SO FREAKING DELISH. But this is ON ANOTHER LEVEL. So babes, GET ON MY LEVEL a.k.a. your bowl of perfectly perfect goodness SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS:
ENJOY LOVIES! Can’t wait to share all the other yumminess up my sleeve!!! Bisous!