Gluten-Free & Vegan Banana Blueberry Muffins a.k.a. Replace-the-Blueberries-with-Chocolate-Chips-&-Go-To-Heaven-Muffins
Hello lovies! After a request from one of my adorbs followers & supporters (Shelly Cohen, yep, just name-dropped you. Hope you’re okay with that!), I whipped up this recipe this morning and present you with two alternatives (one slightly healthier than the other, BUT WHO ACTUALLY CARES!!).
THESE BABIES are my Gluten-Free & Vegan Banana Blueberry Muffins a.k.a. Replace-the-Blueberries-with-Chocolate-Chips-&-Go-To-Heaven-Muffins. If you haven’t already caught my drift (which I hope you have, cause like… it’s pretty simple BLUEBERRIES VS. CHOCOLATE CHIPS), you can totz. replace the 1 cup of blueberries with 1/2 to 1 cup of chocolate chips in this babe of a recipe & there you have it… THE PERFECT GF/VEGAN BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS. I know, right? “How are her recipes so versatile? She’s so amazing in the kitch!“. Thank you, thank you very much. IN FACT, last night when I was brainstorming this baby, I figured I would find a way to make these muffins eatable (edible?) by EVERYONE, so I made them: clean, lean, healthy, vegan & gluten-free. If they still don’t appeal to your senses, WELL THEN YOU ARE JUST TOO PICKY. I AM SORRY… wait, no I’m not… who am I kidding?
So, let me give you a little background. I started baking these at like 5:00AM (In case you haven’t noticed, my full name is listed next to the definition of “morning person” in the Oxford English Dictionary). No, but really, wanna laugh? I legit laid out all my ingredients & measuring cups and spoons on the counter last night before going to bed & woke up to tackle this baby!!!! Like, is there really any better way to wake up than with the intention of baking? Lez be honest. Baking is life. Plus, like half an hour later, I was sitting & blogging away & getting a whiff of the most wonderful smell coming straight from my oven… it’s really the perfect alarm clock. Suddenly, I was ten times more awake, literally. SO WORTH IT. (P.S. Admit you guys all woke up to that tease I posted on Instagram of the beautiful batter for these babies & now, you’re sitting at your desk fantasizing about when I’m gonna post the recipe… THAT MOMENT HAS COME & I’M ALMOST ABOUT THE LIST THE INGREDIENTS. But, I’m not done rambling yet). Ok FINE, I’m done. Here they are lovies:
- 1 cup of mashed banana (Isn’t mashing a banana like the MOST satisfying FEELING EVER? OMG & don’t get me started about the texture… the smell… I CAN’T EVEN. Bananas, I love you with all my heart & soul);
- 2 tbsp. of milk of choice (I used Earth’s Own unsweetened organic almond milk, BUT LET THE IMAGINATION RUN CRAY-CRAY!);
- 2 tsp. of HEAVEN (Oh, sorry, in case we aren’t on the same page, HEAVEN = PURE ORGANIC VANILLA EXTRACT). I use Simply Organic, DUH!;
- 3 tbsp. of vegetable or coconut oil (LIKE, WHY YOU WOULD EVER CHOOSE VEGETABLE OVER COCONUT OIL IS BEYOND BELIEF FOR ME. Use da coconut oil, people. I’M IN LOVE WITH DA COCO). I use Nutiva organic coconut oil;
- 2 tsp. of white or apple cider vinegar. I use apple cider & obvi, being the loyal customer that I am, I use Bragg’s. BRAGG’S = LIFE. IT’S SIMPLE. Honestly, I don’t know if anything more pure & natural even exists;
- 1 cup of spelt or all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour. Usually, I use Bob’s Red Mill GF Flour, but I received a new flour from One Degree Organics, which is the Organic Sprouted Spelt Flour & I LITERALLY could not wait to try it! So I did, AND WOW. JUST WOW – the texture it gives these muffins is RIDICULOUSLY BEAUTIFUL. (Oh & BTW, spelt is SUPER RICH in protein, fibre, vitamins & minerals… I’m all about DAT SPROUT these days because sprouting literally boosts key vitamins and minerals & SIMPLIFIES DIGESTION #WINNNNNNING;
- GUYS, PLEASE PAY ATTENTION. This part is important. IF YOU ARE USING GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR, you need to add 1/4 tsp. of xanthan gum, which will help thicken your batter since your flour is gluten-free and could become crumbly;
- 1/2 tsp. + 1/8 tsp. of salt;
- 1/2 tsp. of baking soda;
- 1/2 tsp. of baking powder;
- OK, THIS IS WHERE YOU NEED TO MAKE A CHOICE, MY LOVES. A VERY VERY HARD CHOICE. You need to choose between: 1 cup of fresh blueberries (or any other berry) OR 1 CUP OF CHOCOLATE CHIPS (any kind. MILK. REESE’S. BUTTERSCOTCH. DARK. SEMI-SWEET. ROLO. OMFG THE POSSIBILITIES…….. I don’t know how I chose the blueberries. Maybe, because they were rotting away in the fridge & I HATE WASTING MY BERRIES. No, seriously, the muffins are perfectly delicious, BUT BUT BUT, next time I make them, I’m going the chocolate chip road. I just can’t. EFF HEALTHY CHOICES. Can’t win ’em all & this is one of those you just want to surrender to. PROMISE. So in case I have not been clear enough, THE CHOICE YOU HAD TO MAKE A MINUTE AGO IS NO LONGER A CHOICE. USE CHOCOLATE CHIPS. POINT FINAL. THANKS, BYE (I mean, the name does say it all, right? Choose the chocolate chips & you go to heaven. Choose the blueberries & well… YOU DON’T!);
- 1/3 cup of sugar or sugar substitute (THIS IS ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE LET YOUR MINDS RUN WILD – Brown, white, coconut, date, xylitol, erythritol… ZOMFG, why must so many sugars exist? Like how do the sugar creators expect us to choose between them? SUGAR SO GOOD. I WANT THEM ALL;
- 1 extra tbsp. of sugar of choice (USE THE SAME ONE AS THE STEP ABOVE THIS ONE, KAY?).
- 1 tbsp. of cinnamon (I use Simply Organic).
OKAY, now that all these ingredients are perfectly laid out on your NOT-MESSY counter (LAWLZ JK). If you see the mess I make when I bake… it scares me. So don’t feel bad… I know your counter is messy, like, who are we kidding? Who the EFF can pour flour without getting half the bag of it all over the counter & floor? Honestly, if you can, you actually deserve a medal & you are my ULTIMATE IDOL. Okay, no but seriously, how do you whip these babes together?
- Preheat the oven to 350 & line a muffin tin with liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the first five ingredients (I shouldn’t have to list them for you guys because you should just SCROLL UP, but because I love you: Mashed banana, milk of choice, vanilla extract, oil & apple cider vinegar (a.k.a. IN BAKING LANGUAGE, THEM WET INGREDIENTS).
- In a separate bowl, combine all of the remaining ingredients & STIR VERY WELL (Since these ingredients should be the ONLY ones left on your perfectly clean counters… I will not list them. SCROLL UP PEOPLE!) (a.k.a. IN BAKING LANGUAGE, THEM DRY INGREDIENTS).
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry & stir these babies until the batter is just evenly mixed.
- NOW, NOW, NOW, POUR IN YOUR CHOCOLATE CHIPS (Like, I decided not to even mention the blueberries anymore. They are like so far gone…).
- Pour this beautiful heavenly batter into the muffin liners (TRY, just TRY to make your muffins all approximately the same size… it just looks prettier!).
- Drizzle the 1 tbsp. of cinnamon evenly over all your muffins… (Don’t give one muffin more love than the other. They all deserve the same love. Be fair). ZOMFG CINNAMON. This is life, guys. LIFE.
- BAKE THESE BABIES FOR 20 MINUTES or until the muffins have domed (a.k.a. become circular at the top) & a toothpick comes out nice & clean from the centre. THIS MEANS THAT YOU NEED TO WATCH YOUR MUFFINS MY LOVES. So no Netflix for you.
- Allow your muffins to sit for 10 minutes before removing from the muffin tin. OK, EVERYONE VIOLATES THIS RULE. HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU EXPECT ME TO WAIT TO EAT ONE OF THESE WHEN MY KITCHEN SMELLS LIKE HEAVEN ON EARTH & THESE BABIES ARE THIS BEAUTIFUL? Like, I’m human. I cannot resist temptation. Guys, I forgive you if you eat one right away because I did too & if I didn’t forgive you, I’d be a hypocrite. Nobody likes a hypocrite.
- DEVOUR. DEVOUR & DEVOUR SOME ‘MO. My best suggestion regarding these babies is to bake them really early in the morning. WHY?
- 1) You can eat like five of them in hiding without having to feel like anybody is watching you;
- 2) You can hide the evidence a.k.a. the fact that these muffins exist & therefore keep them all to yourself (YOU HAVE TO FIND A WAY TO GET RID OF THE HEAVENLY SMELL IN YOUR KITCH. Good luck!)
GUYS, I had a field day taking pics of these gorgeous muffins. Every picture came out perfectly because they are so beyond words (You can imagine how hard it was for me to choose which ones to post!!!! #firstworldproblems). OKAY, HERE MY LOVES:
Enjoy mes amours!! Xoxo!