OKAY, HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM. I had this unrelenting urge & need to have more tartare last night. In case you couldn’t tell, tartare (& sushi, obvs. #datrawlife) were actually two of my all-time fave foods before this ED took over my life & turned it into a “NO-YOU-CANNOT-EAT-THAT-IT’S-NOT-A-SAFE-FOOD”. You can imagine how sad I was. WEH. ANYWAYS, now that I am beating this thing, I am SO EFFING PROUD to say that I can et all the tartare in the world & AIN’T NOBODY GONNA STOP ME (Nope, anorexia, not even you!). So last night, I whipped up a Cod & Mango Tartare with a Zesty Lime, Sesame & Soy Sauce. I know you guys have been salivating since I posted this baby last night. I’m still salivating right now, at 7:40 AM. Like… am I okay?
Honestly, while this babe was marinating in my fridge last night, I had to make a conscious effort to open the fridge as least often as possible so that I could still have dinner left when the clock ticked dinnertime. In case you did not catch my drift, it’s because, OTHERWISE, I would’ve devoured this babe insistently…. The smell of the sauce… the thickness of the Cod… the fresh herbs… the mango (OH, the mango)… & that combination (A very lethal one when you’re hungry, if I may say so myself!!!!) of the citrusy lime juice with the sweet sesame oil… GUYS, I couldn’t. I spent the entire night thinking about how I could describe this dish for you in order to be perfectly representative & I came to the conclusion that I WOULD DO MY BEST, but that you would really have to taste it to know EXACTLY WHAT I MEAN. So please, do yourselves a favour & whip this baby up.
OH & DID I MENTION… once I plated her (Yes, this tartare is a person now), I was COMPLETELY & UTTERLY SPEECHLESS (AHEM, we all know that does not happen very often, so you guys would’ve been very thankful, but now, I am back to rambling… Hope you still love moi!).
TO MAKE THIS CITRUSY-SWEET BABY, you will need the following ingredients, which, when combined, will take you to MANGO HEAVEN (Guys, don’t burst my bubble. Mango heaven, just like the tooth fairy, exists, OKAY?). P.S. This recipe will give you enough for ONE-VERY-TINY-PERSON-RECOVERING-FROM-AN-ED-BUT-WHO-EATS-FOR-THREE (No seriously though, make sure you increase your quantities depending on who you’re making this babe for!). KK I’M DONE RAMBLING (No… I’m not). Here are the ingredients my loves:
- 115g of fresh or frozen Wild Atlantic Cod (or any other fish of your choosing;
- 2 tbsp. of soy sauce or Tamari (WATCH OUT FOR THEM SODIUM LEVELS, PEOPLE. BE MINDFUL OR BE BLOATED. MAKE YOUR PICK.;
- 1/2 red onion, CHOPPED VERY FINELY (Yes, again);
- 1/2 stalk of celery or 30g of cucumber (YOU CHOOSE!! & YES, again, CHOPPED FINELY, kay?);
- 1/4 cup of mango, cubed (TINY CUBES, PLEASE);
- 2 tbsp. of fresh lime juice (ZOMFG DAT CITRUS!!!);
- 1 tbsp. of lemon juice;
- 1 tbsp. of natural rice wine vinegar (I use Nakano);
- 1/2 tbsp. of honey (I use organic raw Manuka hone by Wild Country);
- 1 tbsp. of sesame oil (I use Maison Orphée organic toasted sesame oil – GUYS, IF YOU HAVE OR CAN GET TOASTED SESAME OIL, I swear, it makes SUCH a difference. I’m not even exaggerating (Okay, maybe I am a bit…);
- 1 tsp. of fish sauce (GUYS, I don’t care if you’re weirded out by the name. Don’t skip this ingredient!!!! It’s in ALL the dishes you eat in Asian restaurants anyway, so you’ve eaten this baby like tons of times without even knowing it. SO, when you cook for yourself,. do yourself a favour & EAT IT TOO, EAT IT ALL UP, OK?);
- 1 tbsp. of white or black sesame seeds;
- 1 tbsp. of fresh basil;
- 1 tbsp. of fresh dill;
- 1 tbsp. of fresh cilantro;
- 1 tbsp. of fresh chives;
- ALL THESE HERBS MUST BE CHOPPED FINELY. I figured I’d tell you guys once… BUT SERIOUSLY, guys, don’t be lazy. Chop right. Kay?
- 1 clove of garlic;
- 1/8 tsp. of cayenne pepper (I use Simply Organic – NOT GONNA TELL YOU GUYS THAT I USED IT FOR THE REST OF MY SPICES TOO, I figured you already know… plus, for those of you who have seen my collection, like… was there a doubt, for even a second, that I’d use another brand?);
- 1/4 tsp. of ground black pepper;
- 1/4 tsp. of ground ginger;
- Organic Himalayan pink sea salt to taste (I find using sea salt in recipes that contain fish is even MORE IMPORTANT than just using it in all my recipes because fish + sea salt = LOVE. Please, trust me guys!!!!!);
- OPTIONAL: 1/4 tsp. of spicy red pepper flakes! (Depends on them tastebuds, people!);
- AND OF COURSE, LIKE WITH ANY TARTARE RECIPE, YOU NEED YOUR MIX-INS!!!!! I gave you guys tons of ideas in my first tartare post, but the ones that I think would go best with this recipe are avocado, wasabi, fresh ginger & wait for it… MORE SESAME SEEEEEEDS.
OKOK, but “How do we combine all this stuff to make our tartare look like hers? It’s so pretty. Like, should we trust her or did she like go to the restaurant, pick up a perf tartare then plate it as her own?” A.K.A. YOU GUYS WANT TO KNOW HOW TO MAKE THIS BABY:
- Dice your Cod (or other fish of choice) into very small cubes;
- Mince your onion, celery/cucumber, mango & garlic;
- CHOP DEM HERBS FINELY. Yes, I’m reminding you again that they need to be chopped finely because I want your tartare to be perfect, ergo I care about you, oh & your tummy;
- Combine the Cod with all your ingredients;
- MIX very well. Don’t be lazy. Work those arms. You didn’t go to the gym today anyways, right? Kk, that’s what I thought.
- Let this baby sit in the fridge for at least an hour (The longer it sits there, the better it tastes. In other words, whip up this baby as early as you can before dinnertime!!!);
- Right before serving this beautifulness (which, to be honest, you will probably want to keep all to yourself… BUT GOOD LUCK!!!!), add your MIX-INS, people. Don’t forget this step please. You will hate yourself.
- When you are ready to serve this baby, put it into a ramekin or bowl & DEVOUR. PROCEED TO LICK THE SAUCE OFF THE PLATE. CRY BECAUSE THE PLATE IS EMPTY. PROCEED TO CALL ME FOR ANOTHER TARTARE RECIPE (Oh & to thank me for having given you the opportunity to eat this beauty).
OH & WHAT IS SHE SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE? You will not believe your eyes. But it’s real my loves, so real:
Bon appétit mes amours! Bisous!