OKAY GUYS, I JUST DIED AND WENT TO TARTARE HEAVEN. Not only did I have the most impossible time choosing which picture captured this baby best (I mean… I’m also a pretty DAMN good photographer, so like, this is always a hard part for me #firstworldprobs). BUT, more importantly, I also took a bite of this beautiful concoction before dinner because I HAD TO SHARE IT WITH YOU GUYS PRONTO (Well, mostly because every time I opened my fridge, it was staring right at me & I NEEDED IT IN MY LIFE). THE FIRST BITE WAS HEAVEN. Then, I took a second one, but convinced myself to stop (Us people with EDs are pretty good with that control stuff, ya know?). No kay, but seriously, this is the definition of KEEPING IT 100.
Anywho, all that to say that this totally improvised Mahi-Mahi tartare that I whipped up this afternoon has now obtained my seal of approval, a.k.a. IT IS NOW PERMISSIBLE TO SHARE IT WITH YOU BABIES. Admit you’re SO FREAKING EXCITED right now. You cannot contain it. I know. I know. THIS BABE IS SO BEAUTIFUL, it’s made entirely from scratch, clean, healthy & SO EFFING TASTY. GAH, what have I done? Once again, you will both praise & curse me for sharing this one with you (PRAISE ME, because you will enjoy it, devour it, lick your plate & proceed to do so all over again tomorrow & CURSE me, well because, tomorrow you will not eat a portion for one, but will rather eat a portion for two or three… and then Wednesday, well, you may eat for three or four, anyway, YOU CATCH MY DRIFT, you will keep increasing your portions until you are eating for 10).
P.S. Honestly, total side note, but I’ve realized that homemade food is literally LIFE. I love knowing EXACTLY what is going into my meals & snacks. It teaches me so much about food & all its nutrients, but also makes me feel so good while eating it because I know that I’m not only eating to pack on the pounds (yes, I really really need to), but I’m also eating to TAKE CARE OF MY BODY & NOURISH IT. I’m learning how to balance all types of different nutrients & how to make sure my body gets everything it needs on a daily. YES, it’s time-consuming, BUT I LOVE IT. PLUS, when the results are this Mahi-Mahi Tartare, I could NEVER, NO, NEVER, EVER, complain.
In order to make this perfectly perfect perfection, you will need the following ingredients, which, when combined, are PURE HEAVEN (OH YA, this recipe will give you enough for ONE VERY HUNGRY PERSON WHO LOVES RAW FISH, a.k.a. ME, so if you are serving two or your entire fam, make sure to multiply your quantities (Don’t ask me how. I suck at math. That’s why I’m a lawyer. Kay?). ONCE AGAIN, I’LL STOP RAMBLING. Here are the ingredients, people:
- 115g of fresh or frozen Mahi-Mahi (or any other fish for that matter – this recipe would be great with salmon, tuna or cod! I feel like it could be good with sole also, BUT since sole fillets are very thin, you might have trouble cutting it up into little cubes & end up with mashed tartare. One word: EW;
- 2 tbsp. of soy sauce or Tamari;
- 1 tbsp. of fresh lime juice (OR MORE IF YOU LOVE LIME, like moi! JUST DRIZZLE IT!!);
- 1 tbsp. of natural rice wine vinegar (A.K.A. THE UNSEASONED ONE). I use Nakano Organic Natural Rice Wine Vinegar (Obvi, you can use the seasoned one if you prefer & yes, the recipe would taste EVEN better… though, I’m really not sure if that’s possible. I really think it has reached the ultimate level of perfection… seriously, I swear.
- ½ tbsp. of pure organic maple syrup or honey;
- 1 tbsp. of sesame oil (I use Maison Orpée organic toasted sesame oil);
- 1 tbsp. of fresh chives, chopped finely;
- 1 tbsp. of fresh cilantro, chopped finely;
- 1 tbsp. of fresh dill, chopped finely;
- 1 clove of garlic;
- ½ a red onion, chopped VERY finely (This is very important. This is how you achieve the perfect tartare. Everything must be chopped to PERFECTION, OKAY? You cannot be lazy for this one, SO STOP. You’ll thank me later!!);
- ½ stalk of celery, chopped VERY finely (YES, again! YOU PROBS. WANNA KILL ME BY NOW);
- ½ tbsp. of MAYO (GAH, I love you mayo – this will help you achieve the perfectly textured tartare… the combination of the mayo with the raw fish & all these herbs, ZOMFG. I’m done eating & I already want more. I can’t stop fantasizing. Somebody HELP!);
- 1/8 tsp. of cayenne pepper (I use Simply Organic);
- ¼ tsp. of ground ginger (Same as above, DUH!!! You should see my collection, OMG);
- ¼ tsp. of ground black pepper;
- Organic Himalayan pink sea salt to taste (GUYS, please use sea salt for this recipe. It’s tartare. It’s RAW FISH. You need sea salt, kay? Trust me).
- OPTIONAL: 1 jalapeño peppppa, THINLY SLICED AGAIN (If you didn’t already want to kill me, now you do for sure, eh?);
- MIX-INS (These are not optional, in case you were wondering. YOU NEED TO ADD THEM): I added some sliced avocado & sesame seeds to mine RIGHT BEFORE I was about to eat it (because nobody likes brown avocado or soggy sesame seeds, right?). You can also add some tempura flakes, fresh ginger, caviar, scallions, wasabi – GAH, THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS & KNOWING ME, I COULD GO ON FOR HOURS. So let me just finish, before telling you how to whip this baby up, by telling you to: WAIT FOR IT… LET YOUR IMAGINATION RUN WILD.
OKAY, now you guys are probably saying, “Wow, she’s insane. She just gave us a page full of ingredients, and still hasn’t told us how to make this…”. K well sorry, I like my food to be flavourful, a.k.a. I use a lot of ingredients, but tell me this ahsn’t been worth it (based on you making my other recipes) & I could literally kill you, BECAUSE I KNOW HOW WORTHWHILE IT IS. Ok, here goes:
- Cut the Mahi-Mahi (or other fish of choice) into small cubes;
- Mince the onion, celery, garlic & jalapeño (If you are taking a chance & adding this baby to your tartare – MAKE SURE IT’S NOT TOO SPICY. I DO NOT TAKE LIABILITY, I repeat, I DO NOT TAKE LIABILITY, if your pepper is too spicy and burns your palette, and ergo, ruins your meal. I did tell you the pepper was optional. Eat jalapeño at your own risk);
- Combine the fish WITH ALL YOUR INGREDIENTS (Do I really need to relist them? Like, just SCROLL UP. I can’t do all the work for you!!);
- MIX DAT STUFF VERY WELL. Don’t be lazy!! You want the perfect tartare? Well, work for it;
- Let your tartare sit in the fridge for at least an hour (The longer it sits there & looks pretty, the more the flavours will marinate with the fish & the tastier it will be. I’m pretty sure you won’t be able to last an hour without opening your fridge like ten times to check on its beautifulness, ERGO, the reason why I tried mine before dinner time #noshame #noresistance. WHATEVZ);
- ADD YOUR MIX-INS. Go crazy. Have fun with this. You NEED mix-ins, guys. And, if I had to choose just one: AVOCADO FOR THE WIN;
- When you are ready to serve this baby, put it into a ramekin or a very small bowl (Make sure not to put all the sauce into the ramekin/bowl or your tartare won’t set, a.k.a. when you flip the bowl over, your tartare will not be the perfect circular beautifulness shown in the photo below, but will rather be a Mashed Tartare… IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT? Didn’t think so. So do not, I repeat, do not, pour all the sauce into the ramekin/bowl. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
NOW, THE MOMENT YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR:
GUYS, HOW BEAUTIFUL??????????? Enjoy! Love you all! XXX