Curried Turkey & Apple Wraps (a.k.a. Heavenly Flavour Wraps)
Morning lovies! 🙂 For those of you who enjoyed (I mean, DEVOURED) my Mashed Kidney Bean Sandwich (Don’t lie to me. I know you made it like 5 times already), you are GUARANTEED (Yes, I’m a lawyer & I just guaranteed a result. That’s JUST how sure I am) to LOVE this one too.
This BEAUTY of a wrap makes a slightly spicy, boldly flavoured, creamy salad by substituting Greek yogurt for the mayonnaise that overpowers so many curried chicken/turkey salads. The sweet mango chutney & fresh mint really shine. In case you hadn’t noticed by now, I REALLY LOVE SPICES & SAUCES & DIPS, basically, anything that adds super savoury goodness to my recipes.
P.S. For those of you who want a dairy-free option to the Greek yogurt (because you’re vegan, i.e. you won’t be using chicken or turkey either, but you can totz. substitute them meats for tofu/kosher/lactose-intolerant or simply don’t like dairy, a.k.a. you’re insane), you can totally substitute the Greek yogurt for dairy-free mayo (which is super easy to find these days (My favourites are Vegenaise & Earth Balance Mindful Mayo). Now, SINCE I AM SO AWESOME, I’ll give you a second option, a.k.a. if you don’t like/use mayo (once again, because you are insane), you can use coconut cream or any other dairy-free Greek yogurt alternative, my personal fave brand being So Delicious Dairy-Free. They actually make a plain “Greek”-style yogurt alternative, which is ABSOLUTELY delicious! ANYWAYS, all this to say that basically, this recipe can satisfy ALL YOUR FOOD NEEDS & RESTRICTIONS, all you gotta do is be creative & change it up a bit. And trust me, you won’t regret that you did! It’s so simple to make, healthy, light, protein-packed & so so flavourful!
ALSO, if you are vegetarian or simply are not a fan of turkey, you can totz. use tofu, eggs or tuna, A.K.A. THIS WRAP IS THE MOST VERSATILE THING TO EVER EXIST.
Okay, I’ll stop talking now. I tend to ramble but it’s cause I love you guys & LITERALLY want to give you every possible option to make my recipes the easiest for you. OKOK, Kelly, enough. INGREDIENTS?
(P.P.S. Sorry LAST THING!! This recipe will make enough filling for four wraps, so if you’re cooking for yourself, but want to have leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch, I recommend cutting the recipe in half!). OKAY, NOW IT’S TIME:
- 1/4 cup of mango chutney. I use the one by Stonewall Kitchen, but you can literally get this at any local grocery store. WHAT IS IT, you ask? Essentially, it’s mango heaven in a jar. No, but really, chutney is a spicy condiments (kinda like relish-ish) made of fruits or veggies or both (YUM!) with vinegar, spices & sugar and is used in like most Indian dishes. GUYS, it’s really good & is totally worth it to keep stocked in your pantry for when you want to add some sweet or savoury flavour to meat, chicken or seafood!;
- 1/4 cup of Greek yogurt (or substitute). Honestly, I have developed an obsession with Greek yogurt. I never realized how much you could really do with it, seriously. It can be a substitute for so many other foods, can serve as a (healthy!) thickener for overnight oats, soups, salad dressings & pasta sauces, can serve as a dip for chips or veggies, & can even be used in baking (P.S. I have the BEST Greek yogurt pancake recipe to share with you guys & will be doing so soon!!) or you know… it can just be eaten directly out of the tub until all you see is the bottom, A.K.A. THE TUB IS EMPTY, OOPS!);
- 1 1/2 tsp. of curry powder (MY LOVE). I use Simply Organic;
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder. I use Simply Organic;
- 1 tsp. of onion powder. I use Simply Organic;
- 1 tsp. of any Dijon mustard (LET THE MIND RUN WILD);
- 1 tsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil. I use Maison Orphée).;
- 1 tsp. of fresh lime juice (a.k.a. ONE LIME);
- 1/2 tsp. of organic Himalayan pink sea salt;
- 1/4 tsp. of freshly ground pepper;
- 3/4 cup of diced, cooked skinless turkey/chicken/tofu/eggs/tuna (or any other creative option you came up with (LET ME KNOW!);
- 3/4 cup of canned chickpeas, rinsed (YES, MAKE SURE YOU RINSE THEM!), drained & coarsely chopped (a.k.a. who cares what they look like, just chop them up until they almost look mashed, but leave a bit of texture for some crunch. Mmmmmm, I’m drooling at the very thought! SO ARE YOU, I know, I know);
- 15g of spinach or any other leafy green (LET YOUR MIND RUN WILD PEOPLE. As you know, kale is my “s*de you-know-what”, but lately I’ve been having a lot of trouble cheating on spinach with kale. So I’ve really been sticking to spinach, BUT FEEL FREE TO TAKE RISKS, PEOPLE. I won’t judge you, I swear);
- 1 apple, cut into 1/4 inch pieces (Guys, the no-waste policy is in effect, a.k.a. use whatever apple you have in your fridge. In my opinion, red apples will work better than green ones for this recipe because they are sweeter, but USE WHAT YOU GOT, PEOPLE);
- 2 oz. of fresh organic goat cheese (If you don’t like goat cheese, we have a problem. No, but seriously, you can substitute the goat cheese for feta cheese or ricotta & if you don’t like feta or ricotta, WE HAVE AN EVEN BIGGER PROBLEM, but I’ll be nice & let you substitute them for sliced cheese or shredded cheese… but the wrap will automatically become a little bit boring, SO JUST TRUST ME, stick to goat cheese, feta or ricotta, you won’t regret it);
- 1/2 cup of chopped scallions;
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves. You’re probably thinking I’m insane telling you to put mint in your sandwich, BUT GUYS, you have no idea the “touch” the mint adds to the recipe. It creates the perfect balance between the savouriness of your meat, the sweetness of the chutney & the tanginess of the curry, A.K.A. it is VERY NECESSARY in order to bring all the flavours in the wrap together. BUT, since I’m super open-minded & stuff and am aware that not everybody likes mint (lawlz, even if I disagree & am not okay with it), you can totz. substitute the mint with some fresh basil or cilantro;
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped dill;
- 2 tablespoons of raisins (I use the Prana Organic Thompson raisins). If you don’t have raisins or don’t like them (Because for some reason, you don’t have a sweet tooth… GAH, WE HAVE A PROBLEM), you can substitute them for some dried cranberries;
- 1/8 tsp. of hot sauce (This one is optional guys! Depends if you’re into that spicy stuff & all);
- 4 (HIGH-FIBRE, IF POSSIBLE – in case you couldn’t already tell, I LOVE MY FIBRE) multigrain (or white, if you swing that way) wraps. (P.S. You can totally make this recipe gluten-free by simply choosing a gluten-free bread/wrap alternative, A.K.A. ONCE AGAIN, HOW FREAKING VERSATILE?
Ok, now that I’ve convinced you to make this babe because the ingredients are so beautiful & well… ’cause it’s like THE. MOST. VERSATILE. THING. ON. EARTH., here is how to whip her up:
- For the dressing, in a large bowl, whisk together the mango chutney, yogurt, curry powder, garlic powder, onion powder, Dijon, olive oil, lime juice, sea salt & peppa.
- For the salad, add to the sauce your turkey (or other meat/fish/tofu of choice), chickpeas, spinach, apple, goat cheese, scallions, mint, dill, raisins & OPTIONAL hot sauce (This is the BEST MOMENT EVER, a.k.a. the moment you combine everything & the recipe comes together to create perfectly perfect perfection. It’s so satisfying. Really, you’ll see.
- Spoon the BEAUTIFUL, DELICIOUS, SAVOURY filling into your wrap ET VOILÀ! (I didn’t think I had to tell you but like before doing this, TOAST YOUR WRAP PEOPLE).
This beautiful, versatile lunch-staple should look a lil’ something like this… This one wasn’t hard, guys, I hope you succeeded. If not, give me a call… I will teach you a thing or two… or three. DEPENDS HOW BAD IT WAS (Take photographic evidence. I like evidence & stuff… you know I’m a lawyer). KK, enough rambling Kelly!!