Chocolate Banana Smoothie ak.a. The Perfect Morning Blend that Will Make You Feel Like a Kid All Over Again
Ok, so I don’t know about you guys but I’m already fantasizing about breakfast tomorrow morning… #noshame. I’m having a chocolate craving right about now (This is a somewhat regular occurrence for me, but I thought I should share anyways). ANYWAY, given this craving, tomorrow morning, I plan to make my fave Chocolate Banana Smoothie a.k.a. the Perfect Morning Blend that Will Make You Feel like a Kid All Over Again (Another one of those: LONG NAME, AMAZING RESULTS).
I’ve made this smoothie QUITE A FEW TIMES (#guiltyascharged) and each time, I tweaked it. Now, I believe it has reached a state of utmost perfection, a.k.a. IT IS THE PERFECT TIME TO SHARE IT WITH YOU LOVIES!
This smoothie takes literally NO TIME to prepare, is smooth, creamy, chocolate-y, nutritious (HELLO BANANAS. HELLO POTASSIUM) & guilt-free – in other words, you can still have a full breakfast meal with this smoothie without consuming half your calories for the day at 8:00 AM. Yeah, you’ll thank me later.
TO MAKE THIS CHOCOLATE-Y HEAVEN, you will need:
- 1 tbsp. of cocoa powder (I use Cuisine Camino Fair Trade Organic Cocoa Powder);
- 1 FROZEN banana (Guys, it has to be frozen if you want to obtain the perfect texture to your smoothie. If you don’t care about texture, EVEN THOUGH YOU SHOULD or if you forget to freeze your bananas (#dontbelazy), you can still use a banana at room temperature, but you will most probably have to adjust some of the ingredients to obtain that creamy texture);
- 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon (I use Simply Organic);
- 1/2 tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract (I use Simply Organic. Have you realized that I use this stuff in just about everything? I love how a little goes such a long way. I KINDA TREAT THIS LIKE BBQ SAUCE – I PUT DAT SH*T ON EVERYTHING. Guys, once you start, you can’t stop. You have been warned);
- 1 scoop of any brand of Vanilla Whey Protein or Vanilla Plant-Based Protein (I use SunWarrior Vanilla, Vega Vanilla or Planet Hemp Protein Superfood, but honestly, there are SO MANY good brands out there these days to choose from. DO YOUR RESEARCH, PEOPLE or ask me if you need suggestions. I’ve become like, a pro, at this point. SERIOUSLY). If you’re not into protein & stuff, you can totally just skip this one & not replace it with anything. Totz. up to you.
- 1 Medjool date, pitted (a.k.a. YOUR HEALTHY SWEETENER). As always, I use Prana Organic dates. THEY ARE F-AMAZING.
- 1 tbsp. of chia or hemp seeds;
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp. of raw organic almond butter (or other nut butter of choice). LET THE MIND RUN WILD. Personally, I think you need the full tablespoon for the smoothie to come out perfect, but you be the judge – it all depends how into nut butters your are in the first place & obviously putting the full tablespoon will add more calories to your smoothie BUT, BUT, BUT it will also add SO MUCH NUTRITION. Trust me, the cost/benefit calculation has already been done by yours truly & the nutritional benefits far outweigh those extra calories. WHO CARES ABOUT THE EXTRA CALORIES? DRINK UP, PEOPLE. NOURISH YOUR BODY.
- 1 cup of organic unsweetened almond milk (or other plant-based or regular milk of choice. LET THE MIND RUN WILD ONCE AGAIN, PEOPLE);
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup of ice (Adjust if necessary depending on smoothie consistency obtained. If you didn’t use the frozen banana, odds are you will need more ice!);
- OPTIONAL: 1/4 tsp. of turmeric. So as you all know, I’m super into turmeric these days, not only because I find that it adds such a savoury, tangy touch to a lot of my recipes but, also because of all of its nutritional and overall health benefits (I mentioned them in a previous Instagram post, BUT in case you’re too lazy to go find the post, since I’m so freaking awesome, here are some of the benefits of my bestie, turmeric: antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, aids in serotonin regulation & best of all… it’s GOOD FOR YOUR GUT (Yes please. Probiotics FTW). BTW, you have been warned, the turmeric will most likely stain your hands, not to mention your entire kitchen counter, so like I hope you like the colour yellow…
Kk, I’m done venting about all these perfectly perfect ingredients. NOW, I don’t think I need to tell you guys, step by step, how to whip up this babe. You have a blender for a reason. Your blender will do all the work here, a.k.a. this recipe gives you permission to be pretty darn lazy. PUT ALL THESE YUMMY INGREDIENTS IN YOUR BLENDER & BLEND THAT SH*T.
One of my personal tips when I make smoothies is to blend them about 15-20 minutes before plan on drinking them because I ABSOLUTELY LOVE that freezing cold, thick & creamy texture (It kind of makes me feel like I’m drinking ice cream, AWESOME, RIGHT?). This is totz. up to you. You can obvi drink it as soon as it’s done blending & you probably will anyways because anybody who can resist doing so while the smoothie freezes has like an insane amount of willpower… & THAT IS VERY RARE MY FRIENDS. So don’t feel guilty if you drink half the smoothie on your walk from your blender to your freezer… at that point, JUST DRINK THE WHOLE THING. I give you permission, KAY? Enjoy my loves! Xoxo!
OH & here’s a picture to make you guys salivate until tomorrow morning (P.S. if your smoothie don’t look like this, FYL. ‘Nuff said):