Ok GUYS, after making that scrumptious BBQ sauce (Please refer to previous post if the BBQ sauce is not already whipped up & in your fridge waiting to be used), I HAD TO find a way to incorporate it into my lunch…like I was so tempted. I was about to have the sauce for lunch but then, I realized I’m recovering from an eating disorder & that my lunch had to include SLIGHTLY a bit more calories & nutrients than just BBQ sauce. SO I WHIPPED UP THIS BABY.
What is this, you ask? SALAD GOALS. No but really, ROASTED turkey breast, BBQ cauliflower (yes, my obsession continues) on a bed of crunchy spinach, sweet corn & cherry tomatoes with a lemon Dijon & tarragon homemade vinaigrette! I don’t know what stroked me today but I was in the mood for something BBQ. I guess, when your body is deprived for SO. EFFING. LONG. & then finally, you start eating again it starts to crave all its old time faves, aka I LOVE THAT ROASTED TASTE WITH BBQ SAUCE. Always have. Always will.
K, so you know those huge BBQ sandwiches stuffed with all the yumminess that is chicken, onions & loads of sauce? Imagine taking away the bread, dumping everything else into a bowl with some spinach & smothering it in my homemade lemon Dijon vinaigrette… YOU HAVE TO BE DROOLING. That’s what this salad is all about (only with turkey instead of chicken, BUT FEEL FREE TO CHANGE IT UP!).
HONESTLY, roasted cauliflower coated in my homemade BBQ sauce (Once again, please refer to previous post for MORE DROOLING) makes an unforgettable topping to this salad & will become an instant fave of yours (I PROMISE).
P.S. If you are not a fan of cauliflower:
- We will not get along;
- You’re insane;
- You can make this salad with broccoli instead.
ANYWAYS, back to the salad. It’s perfect for anyone who thinks a salad can’t be a hearty, satisfying & DOWNRIGHT MOUTHWATERING meal (HA, PROVED YOU WRONG!). ALL THIS & it CAN be vegan if you take out the turkey. But, to me, that’s a sin. Turkey is too good. Keep the turkey, please. Unless of course you really are a vegan. Then, I support you.
TO BUILD THIS ONE-PLATE WONDER, you will need
1. FOR THE BBQ CAULIFLOWER & THE SALAD:
- 150g of cauliflower;
- 1 tsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil;
- 1/2 tbsp. of soy sauce or tamar or vegan/gluten-free alternative, i.e. liquid aminos (I use Bragg’s);
- 1/4 tsp. of ground cumin (I use Simply Organic);
- 1/4 tsp. of garlic powder (I use Simply Organic);
- 1/4 tsp. of onion powder (I use Simply Organic);
- 1/4 tsp. of smoked paprika (I use Simply Organic… I THINK YOU CATCH MY DRIFT, I freaking love Simply Organic spices!!);
- Organic Himalayan pink sea salt & ground black pepper (Adjust these seasonings to your liking. If it were up to me, POUR IT UP, but I’ll leave this part & only this part, up to you);
- 1/2 tbsp. of lemon juice;
- 1/4 cup of… MY HOMEMADE (& COMPLETELY VEGAN), NOT TO MENTION, SUPER CLEAN EATING, BBQ SAUCE! (Please refer to previous post, but like, you must have already made it by now, no? Or is it like on the stove as you’re readying this?);
- 1/4 tbsp of corn starch (I use Bob’s Red Mill);
- 50g of roasted turkey breast (You can totz. replace the turkey with chicken if you prefer!);
- 50g of spinach (If it ain’t crunchy, go buy some more. It NEEDS to be crunchy);
- 50g of sweet corn (I use Green Organic sweet corn);
- 60g of cherry tomatoes;
- 60g of butternut squash, roasted (DO THIS BEFORE, GUYS. OR THE RECIPE WILL TAKE LONGER. You have been warned);
- 1 tbsp. of fresh parsley;
- 1 tbsp. of fresh cilantro;
2. FOR THE LEMON DIJON VINAIGRETTE:
- 1 tbsp. of fresh lemon juice;
- 1 tsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil (I use Maison Orphée);
- 1 tsp. of nutritional yeast (I LOVE YOU). I use Bob’s Red Mill. I know I’ve said this before, but this is legit the best discovery ever – it is literally PARMESAN, only better, healthier & more nutrient-dense, like who would ever go back to Parmesan, EVER, after knowing this exists? I swear guys. Do yourselves a favour, I know the name is weird, BUT TRY IT.
- 1 tsp. of organic & raw Manuka honey (I use the brand Wild Country). Regular honey will work perfectly as well!;
- 1 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar (I LOVE YOU TOO). I use Bragg’s, as always! But, also love the one by Eden Organic.
- 1 garlic clove, minced;
- 2 tsp. of Dijon mustard;
- 1/4 tsp. of garlic powder;
- 1/4 tsp. of turmeric;
- Organic Himalayan pink sea salt & ground black pepper (YOU BE THE JUDGE FOR QUANTITY. Like I said, I am certainly not the best reference. I LOVE SPICES WAY TOO MUCH. WAY TOO MUCH, GUYS).
OKAY, now that we’ve covered all them yummy ingredients, here’s how to make this baby:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the cauliflower florets on the sheet. Coat them with the olive oil, drizzle with the soy sauce & sprinkle with the cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, SMOKED paprika, salt & peppa. Then, POUR DAT LEMON JUICE OVER THEM. Toss to fully coat each piece (Please, be fair. Make sure all pieces are coated… you wouldn’t want your cauliflower pieces getting jelly of each other now, would ya?). ROAST these babies for 20 minutes, tossing once halfway through to ensure even cooking (Since I almost ALWAYS forget to toss halfway through baking, I started setting my oven timer to the halfway mark so that the annoying beeping noise reminds me to get off my butt & ACTUALLY toss halfway through… otherwise, there’s no way I’m remembering to do that, and in the odd event that I do remember, there’s no way that I’m getting up to do so unless of course THAT BEEPING DON’T STOP).
- While the cauliflower is roasting, make the vinaigrette. No guys, you don’t need to take out your blenders for this one (ADMIT IT, YOU WERE LAZY). Simply combine all the ingredients & BOOM: the perfect light & fresh vinaigrette (Feel free to make a MASON JAR of this yumminess & store it in your fridge for up to 10 days – but as always, it won’t last THAT LONG).
- OK. THE BEST PART GUYS: Mix the BBQ SAUCE with the cornstarch. After 20 minutes, remove the cauliflower from the oven, COAT IT IN MY SAUCE & toss. Bake 7-10 minutes more. At this point, your kitchen will smell like BBQ sauce heaven. You will want to stick your head in the oven (But, please don’t. Wouldn’t want you to burn yourself just for cauliflower… or well, now that I think about it, maybe that burn is worth it if the cauliflower is really, really yummy?). No but seriously, at the 7-10 minute mark, most of the BBQ sauce will have dried up & the cauliflower will essentially be a DREAM. COME. TRUE. Don’t taste it. Not until you’re done assembling the salad. OR ELSE, by the time you’re assembling, there will be no more cauliflower to top it with… That would be sad, real sad.
- Now, ASSEMBLE THIS GOODNESS. Toss together the roasted turkey breast, spinach, sweet corn, tomatoes & butternut squash, TOP WITH THE BBQ CAULIFLOWER (aka: the DREAM), the fresh parsley & cilantro & season with the beautiful lemon Dijon vinaigrette. SERVE RIGHT AWAY (Nobody likes a soggy salad, kay?).
This ONE-PLATE-WONDER should look like this:
Oh & here’s a close-up (if by this point, you weren’t already salivating or chopping up your veggies to make this baby, I don’t know what’s wrong with you), but just in case you’re stubborn & need some extra convincing, here’s my close-up baby:
But, seriously, how perfect is that cauliflower? I WANT TO DEVOUR YOU. NOW. COME TO ME. Enjoy my loves! Xx! <3