GUYS, OMG. I whipped up this homemade BBQ sauce from scratch this morning & it’s just so WONDERFUL Oh & it’s COMPLETELY VEGAN (just thought I’d throw that in there for all my vegan following). How awesome is that? There are so many amazing things about this sauce, LET ME EXPLAIN.
- It takes almost NO TIME to whip up & is super easy (thank you Breville, I love your Boss Blender). Most of the prep. time will consist of the pot chilling on the stove while this beautifulness simmers & turns into the perfection that is this BBQ SAUCE!
- It tastes so much better than the store-bought stuff, which, by the way, in case you didn’t know, is loaded with sodium & refined sugar (You probably new that but bought it anyways because you were being LAZY, BUT DON’T BE LAZY. TURN OFF NETFLIX. MAKE THIS SAUCE, PLEASE. Do yourselves a favour).
- I know exactly EVERY SINGLE INGREDIENT that went into it (& they are all SO HEALTHY!).
- The texture is JUST RIGHT.
- It’s rich & smokey, yet just the right amount of sweet.
- It’s so versatile, a.k.a. you can use it for almost anything (Let me give you a few suggestions in case you find my comment too general, you can use it as a sauce for chicken, ribs, steak & even veggies, ergo KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR MY NEXT POST. I used this babe on roasted cauliflower, roasted it some mo’ with this heaven of a sauce & it was HEAVEN. ON. EARTH., as a marinade or even as a dip!).
Since I was trying this sauce out for the first time (Can you tell I like to improvise?), I only made ONE MEASLY CUP & now I’m actually sad because I have to get off my butt to make some more, like NOW? TOMORROW MORNING? GAH, What have I done??? All this to say, I couldn’t wait to share the recipe with you lovebugs because well, it’s only fair that if I have a sauce this yummy & versatile in my fridge, YOU SHOULD TOO.
In order to whip up this saucy deliciousness, you need these beautiful ingredients (Since one cup was certainly not enough, the list below will yield FOUR CUPS OF THIS BEAUTY. I figured if one cup wasn’t enough for me, IT WOULDN’T BE FOR YOU EITHER. See how nice I am?):
- 1 tsp. of extra-virgin organic olive oil;
- 3 garlic cloves, minced;
- 1/2 a medium red onion, very finely chopped;
- 1 30 oz. can (890 mL) or 2 15 oz. (445mL) cans unsalted organic tomato sauce;
- 1/4 cup (40g) + 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar (THIS STUFF IS SO DELISH GUYS, like, if your pantry isn’t stocked with this, I’d usually tell you to use what you have, to keep in line with my no waste policy, BUT, THIS IS SOMETHING I ENCOURAGE & EVEN FORCE YOU TO BUY, so GO NOW. I use Organic Natural Coconut Sugar by Grace);
- 1/4 cup (60mL) of apple cider vinegar (Being the loyal customer that I am, I stuck to my FAVE Bragg’s, THE MOST RAW THING IN MY PANTRY, LITERALLY);
- 3 tbsp. of molasses;
- 2 tbsp. liquid aminos (I used Bragg’s Liquid Aminos Soy Seasoning to keep it vegan, BUT the recipe would definitely be better with regular soy sauce, so DO IT);
- 2 tbsp. of plum vinegar (Most people don’t have this in their pantry because it’s like a weird ingredient & stuff), so, since I’m super awesome & stuff, you can tots. use plain distilled vinegar;
- 1 tsp. cumin (LOVE THIS SPICE. SO EFFING GOOD. I use Simply Organic);
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika (I use Simply Organic). THIS SPICE WILL BRIGHTEN ANY DISH. I SWEAR. It is not the same thing as PAPRIKA. At all. You need the smoked version. You need it.
- 1/2 tsp. of chili powder (I use Simply Organic);
- 2 tsp. of Dijon mustard (ANY KIND. LET YOUR MIND RUN WILD);
- Organic Himalayan pink sea salt & ground black pepper.
OK, IT SEEMS LIKE A LOT, but it’s not, I promise. It’s really so simple. WATCH & LEARN.
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat (DO NOT HEAT IT OVER HIGH HEAT, it will burn the red onion & garlic as soon as you add it, so be weary people. I warned you!). Add the garlic & sauté it until fragrant (aka until your kitchen smells like GARLICKY HEAVEN). Then, add the onion & sauté until it begins to become translucent (I’ve already explained to you lovies what that means, but essentially, UNTIL YOU CAN START SEEING THROUGH YOUR ONION, yup, I know sounds weird. But, just watch your onion, OKAY?).
- REMOVE FROM THE HEAT.
- Transfer the onion & garlic to your blender & add the tomato sauce, COCONUT SUGAR (AKA LIFE), apple cider vinegar, molasses, liquid aminos (or it’s BETTER alternative: soy sauce), plum vinegar (or it’s MORE COMMON alternative: distilled vinegar), CUMIN (mmmmmm), SMOKED (& I REPEAT, you must use smoked) paprika & chili powder. Blend dat sh*t until you obtain a smooth consistency.
- Transfer this yummy perfect mixture back to the pot, bring to a boil & QUICKLY reduce the heat to low (I made a little mess, SO PEOPLE, IF YOU DO, CLEAN YOUR MESS or your stovetop will go all kinds of crazy). Let this beautifulness simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, but stir occasionally (to avoid it becoming TOO STICKY).
- NOW, add the Dijon, salt & peppa. Remove your pot from the heat. Let cool before storing it in a cute little mason jar & refrigerate this baby until you’re ready to use it (But I mean… are you really going to wait? USE IT NOW. Find something to put it on. Refer to comment about versatility of sauce above. Kthx). No but really, make sure you keep it in the fridge (Since the ingredients are so raw, it will defs go bad if you leave it at room temperature!). It will last up to 10-14 days in the fridge (BUT LIKE WITH ALL MY RECIPES, the stuff never lasts as long as it should because it’s just TOO GOOD. TOO GOOD).
P.S. Can we just stop & stare for a second. HOW DAMN CUTE IS MY PERSONALIZE-ABLE MASON JAR? I know, right? Oh & babes, your sauce should look a little something like this. If the colour is off or it does not look like this, well honey, once again, you’ve done something wrong #notwinning.
Oh & since I LOVE TO MAKE YOU GUYS DROOL, here is a preview of my next recipe coming up on the blog where I put this sauce to VERY GOOD USE, only like ten minutes after I made it. I really just couldn’t resist. You won’t be able to either. TRUST ME. I NEVER LIE. Kisses!
I know, right? PROMISE TO POST SOON. Love y’all!