The moment when these No Bake (Grain-Free!) Maple Vanilla Nut Latte Protein Bites are frozen & ready to be filled in MORE GROUND ESPRESSO = PURE & UTTER BLISS. Let’s discuss these babes for a second. They are grain-free, gluten-free, PACKED with protein & are SO EASY to whip up, aka they make for a great, healthy afternoon pick-me-up or a yummy breaky side with Greek yogurt or oats! The combination of maple, vanilla, almonds & espresso is simply INSANITY. LIKE, I AM LOSING MY MIND. Guys, do yourselves a favour, make a huge batch of these & stock them in your freezer – these are a must. They need to be readily available for whenever a craving hits (aka EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.).
P.S. I am currently tapping myself on the shoulder because eating these babes is a HUGE accomplishment for me (believe it or not!). I was legit scared of almonds two months ago, like a legit fear. KAY, anyway, I know you wanna know what these babes contain, so here goes, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped organic raw almonds (If you don’t like almonds or prefer to use other nuts because that’s what you have on hand, tons of alternatives will work: I feel like hazelnuts would be awesome combined with the maple & vanilla – otherwise, you can totally use cashews, walnuts or peanuts!);
- 2/3 cup of almond meal or coconut flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill Almond Meal or Nutiva Organic Coconut Flour – this is the same brand of my favourite coconut oil – it’s just pure awesomeness);
- 1/3 to 1/ 2 cup of natural & raw nut butter (I used raw organic peanut butter, but this is that part of the recipe where you can LET YOUR IMAGINATION RUN WILD. The possibilities are endless: almond, cashew, pecan, coconut, sesame, pistachio – alllllll them buttahs. Which one to use? GAHHH. Not sure how or why I decided to use peanut butter (although these babes are so delicious, I don’t regret it for a second), but I will definitely try the recipe out with almond & cashew butter next time! (AND THERE WILL BE A NEXT TIME, BECAUSE THESE ARE PERFECTION);
- 1-2 tbsp. of ground espresso (I used two tbsp. #guiltyascharged #datcaffeinethough);
- 2/3 cup of gluten-free rolled/old-fashioned oats (As always, I used Only Oats Gluten-Free Rolled Oats, but I also LOVE Bob’s Red Mill GF Rolled Oats, so I’ll defs. be alternating between the two to prep. these babes!);
- OPTIONAL: 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of vanilla protein of choice (I didn’t use protein in this batch but the recipe will DEFINITELY still work if you add the protein (In fact, it might work even better because the protein will act as a binder for the wet ingredients coming right up!);
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup of pure organic maple syrup (COME ON, don’t be cheap. Don’t use 1/4. USE 1/3. I mean… how can you even resist the goodness that is maple syrup? If it were up to me, I’d pour the bottle into my mixture, but then these cuties would have trouble freezing & I want to eat them LIKE NOW, so ya;
- 1/2 tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract (As always, I use my trusty Simply Organic);
- IF YOU ARE FEELING EXTRA GENEROUS TODAY & WANT TO GIVE YOURSELF A LITTLE TREAT, melt 1/4 cup of dark chocolate and coat these babies in it… how did I resist doing this? I. DO. NOT. KNOW. But, I will defs. do it next time.
I told you these were easy to make. Here’s the proof:
1. Chop your almonds in a food processor until it turns into a nut meal flour.
2. Transfer the nut meal flour (aka what you just processed in dat food processor) to a large bowl & add in all the other ingredients. ADD THE MAPLE SYRUP & VANILLA EXTRACT LAST! Mix & combine well!!!!!
3. NOW, roll these babies into bite sized-balls (THEY’RE SO FREAKING CUTE, MAN).
4. FREEEEEZE THESE BABIES.
5. Once they are frozen, take them out of the freezer & combine vanilla protein (if you used it in the initial recipe) with ground espresso & coat the balls. If you didn’t use vanilla protein in the initial recipe, you can choose to use it just for the outer coating or simply just roll the balls in more GROUND ESPRESSSSSO (SO YUMMY OMG. Just the smell. Can’t even). You can store them in the fridge or in the freezer. Personally, I prefer the freezer because they just taste so much better (it’s almost like a cookie dough, but not quite, BUT STILL SO GOOD). WHATEVER YOU DO, do not leave them sitting out on the counter – they will soften & YOU WILL NOT BE A HAPPY CAMPER (P.S. the complaints department is closed, so like… JUST LISTEN TO ME, put them in the freezer).
Your babies should look like this ONCE FROZEN & COATED:
Enjoy my loves!!! Xoxo!