And the moment you have all been waiting for has finally arrived… Yep, I’m disclosing (I know, I’m SUPER NICE & stuff) this perfect concoction that is my apple cinnamon spiced overnight oats. GUYS, IT’S DELICIOUS. IT IS LITERALLY, THE. PERFECT. BREAKFAST. One of the best things (and there are many) about this breakfast is that you literally wake up in the morning one quick mason-jar shake away from a satisfying, nutritious and delicious breakfast. Trust me, this is a VERY powerful thing.
If you’ve never tried overnight oats, I BEG OF YOU, please give these apple cinnamon overnight oats a try. Overnight oats are SUPER filling, packed with superfoods (I FREAKING LOVE SUPERFOODS) & taste super rich and decadent. If, like me, you’re super into one-bowl meals, you will FALL IN LOVE INSTANTLY. Plus, to make these babes, all you have to do is simply layer the ingredients & let them sit in the refrigerator while you get your beauty sleep. THAT’S IT. I SWEAR. Overnight, the oats will soften & thicken and turn into a marvellous, wonderful, perfect, tasty, filling, EVERYTHING breakfast pudding that will literally have you JUMPING out of bed in the morning (Even before your alarm clock rings. I SWEAR. Don’t believe me? TRY ME). So, overnight oats are ALSO essentially an alarm clock.
I find that storing the overnight oats in a mason jar is best because it’s super easy to store (not to mention, it’s like hipster & trendy & stuff). BUT, any airtight container, Tupperware or bowl covered with plastic wrap (#ghettolife) will do!
P.S. Overnight oats can actually last up to FIVE WHOLE DAYS in the fridge, so if you’re a super on-the-go working mama/papa and have no time to prep breakfast in the morning, you can make a few jars at once & literally cover your breaky for the entire week. IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, BUT I SWEAR IT ISN’T. Like, they legit last for five days, I promise. OH AND, if you store them in mason jars, this makes them super portable so you can literally take your oats right out of the fridge & bring them to work with you (to make your colleagues jelly & stuff).
P.P.S. (I promise, I’m getting to the recipe soon), ANOTHER AMAZING thing about overnight oats is that you can change them up & customize them super easily based on your favourite flavours. This recipe is inspired by apple pie, ergo the cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup & honeycrisp apples (If this recipe doesn’t remind you of your token fall apple picking trip… I don’t really know what will). Not to mention, this recipe is legit APPLE PIE, but it’s healthy & super nutritious! (Now, I’m not saying it’s not okay to indulge on apple pie every now & then, but the keywords are EVERY NOW & THEN).
OKAY, I think I’m done venting (I’m a JAP, what do you expect? Did you really think I’d get right to the ingredients?). To make this beautiful pudding-like apple pie, you will need:
- 1/3 cup of old-fashioned/rolled gluten-free oats (I use Only Oats Gluten-Free Oats). Obviously, you don’t have to use gluten-free oats if that’s not a concern for you, but just make sure that you use old-fashioned/rolled oats. Quick oats can work too but they won’t give you as much of a decadent texture as the old-fashioned or rolled ones will);
- 1/2 tsp. of organic ground cinnamon (I use Simply Organic);
- Pinch of ground ginger (I use Simply Organic);
- 1/2 medium apple, cored & diced (You don’t need to peel it – totally up to you! I keep the skin on). You can obviously use any apple (NO WASTE POLICY IN EFFECT), but I use my fave ones, which are honeycrisp;
- 1/2 cup of organic unsweetened almond milk (I use Earth’s Own organic unsweetened almond milk). If you don’t like almond milk (because you’re CRAY CRAY, you can use any other type of milk, i.e. skim or full-fat milk, cashew milk, coconut milk, macadamia milk. Once again, I give you permission to LET YOUR IMAGINATION RUN WILD);
- 1 1/2 tsp. of pure organic maple syrup (I use Decacer organic maple syrup);
- 1/2 tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract (I use Simply Organic);
- 1 container of non-fat plain Greek yogurt (I like to change this one up every now & then. I’ve used Siggi’s Dairy 0% Milkfat Icelandic Skyr, but also often use Liberté Lactose-Free Greek Yogurt or Olympic Organic Greek Yogurt);
- 1 tbsp. of ground flaxseed meal OR chia seeds OR BOTH (GUYS, I CAN’T CHOOSE. I love flaxseed & I love the texture chia seeds add to like EVERYTHING, so just put both, trust me. Most of the time, you listen to me & you enjoy your meals right? Rather, you devour them. SO, listen to me for this & please make the most conscious choice: 1 tbsp. of ground flaxseed AND 1 tbsp. of chia seeds. I use Bob’s Red Mill Flaxseed Meal. For the chia seeds, I always change it up between Prana Probiotic Chia Seeds, MamaChia! or a new find: Salba Chia, which I’m also loving!);
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS (REALLY, they shouldn’t be optional, because they are just so good): Toasted almonds (I like to toast some almonds in a skillet at the beginning of the week so that I have them readily available when making overnight oats, salads or almond-crusted fish), walnuts, dried fruit, additional maple syrup/honey or other sweetener, more apples or other fruit.
NOW, TO WHIP UP THIS BABE:
- Add all your ingredients to a mason jar or other container in this order: oats, cinnamon, ginger, diced apples, almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, Greek yogurt, flaxseed & chia seeds. DO NOT SHAKE THE JAR. I REPEAT, DO NOT SHAKE THE JAR. Seal it & put it in your fridge, NOW, GO TO BED & DREAM ABOUT THE OATS. Sweet dreams, babe.
- When you are ready to eat the oats (a.k.a. once the oats acted as your alarm clock and got your butt out of bed in the morning), shake the jar to combine all the ingredients & empty the contents of the container into a serving bowl & stir to combine this deliciousness. Your overnight oats will be smooth, decadent, moist, EVERYTHING NICE & PRETTY. I usually add a bit more Greek yogurt & a splash more of almond milk in the morning, THEN, YEP WE AREN’T DONE, ADD YOUR TOPPINGS!!!!! You can’t forget the toppings. I usually add more fruit, drizzle some additional cinnamon & also find that walnuts pair perfectly with all the flavours in this breaky!
- LICK THE BOWL.
- FANTASIZE ABOUT THE NEXT TIME YOU WILL MAKE THIS RECIPE.
If your oats do not look like the photos below, ONCE AGAIN (ugh, are you ever going to learn how to follow a recipe?), you did something wrong. IF THEY DO, GREAT SUCCESS.
Enjoy my loves!!! Xoxo!