Vegan & Gluten-Free Blueberry Muffins (A.K.A. Ooey-Gooey Blueberry Goodness Sprinkled with Cinnamon Sugar)
I promised & I delivered (Can you tell I like to keep my promises?). OKAY, GUYS, let me tell you a bit about these muffins:
- I have made them TONS of times already;
- I have become a pro at making these babes;
- These babes have become a staple for me. I bake them every week & eat AT LEAST one per day (usually as a mid-morning snack);
- The combination of the ooey-gooey warm blueberries, cinnamon sugar, moist decadence of the muffin itself & pure vanilla is PURE BLISS. Yes, I use the word pure a lot, but I can’t even. PLUS, blueberries are so good for you. TOTAL BRAIN FOOD & ANTIOXIDANT.
- They MUST be warmed up before being devoured (Even if it’s so hard to wait while they are in the toaster oven. If you wish, do as I do & STARE AT THEM as the warm blueberries start to ooze, ZOMFG);
- They are best eaten topped with some butter, margarine or any kind of nut butter (My personal fave is raw almond butter, BUT LET YOUR MIND RUN WILD);
- If you don’t like blueberries (because you’re entirely & completely insane), feel free to substitute them with blackberries or strawberries. I never tried the recipe with either of the two but I am sure they would work. I wouldn’t try it with raspberries because they let out A LOT of water & you could end up with really runny, watery muffins that simply will not bake & that would be SAD, REALLY REALLY SAD;
- They last in the fridge, sealed in an air-tight container for AT LEAST a week (But, like most, if not all of my recipes, THEY WILL NOT LAST THAT LONG. Beware. If you have a hungry hubby or hyper kiddies, do not keep these muffins in their vicinity. They will devour them. There won’t be any left for you & your kids will be jumping off the walls (especially if you decide to use real sugar & not a substitute), so do yourselves a favour. Keep these on the top shelf of your fridge a.k.a. where the kiddies can’t reach & if your hubby is HANGRY (I mean, hungry), HIDE THEM in the back of your fridge, behind all the veggies. He’ll snack on the veggies instead of your muffins, MUAHAHA! Admit you love my tricks. My tricks = More muffins for you);
- The batter takes like no time to prepare. YOU WILL THANK ME because you will be out of patience. YOU WILL WANT THE MUFFINS & YOU WILL WANT THEM NOW.
OK, now that we’ve got all those tips & pointers covered, let me tell you what you will need to make these beautiful masterpieces:
- 1 1/4 cups of gluten-free all-purpose flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill) OR white whole wheat flour OR 3/4 cups of almond meal plus 3/4 cups of coconut flour;
- 3/4 cup & 2 additional tbsp. of sugar or sugar substitute (I use erythritol by NOW Foods as always);
- 1 tsp. of baking soda;
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 1 tsp. of cinnamon, DIVIDED (1/2 tsp. for the batter & 1/2 tsp. for the cinnamon sugar sprinkle, GAH, WE’LL TALK ABOUT THAT LATER. SO GOOD. Just save some cinnamon for now);
- 1 cup of unsweetened organic almond milk (If you don’t like the taste of almond milk, once again, LET YOUR MIND RUN WILD. Substitute it for regular, skim or whole milk, cashew milk, coconut milk, macadamia nut milk – once again, the possibilities really are endless);
- 1 tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract (I use Simply Organic);
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil (MY LOVE);
- 1 tsp. of distilled white or apple cider vinegar (The loyal customer returns – used my trusty Bragg’s once again!);
- 2 cups of fresh OR thawed frozen blueberries (I’ve tried the recipe with both & I find the fresh blueberries work best, but once again, NO WASTE POLICY IN EFFECT, use what you got lovies!).
I promise it’s almost time to eat these babies, but first, let me tell you how to bake the perfection that is this batter:
- Preheat your oven to 350 & grease a 12-cup muffin tin & set aside;
- In a large bowl, combine your flour, 3/4 cup of sugar or substitute (KEEP THOSE 2 LEFTOVER TBSP. FOR LATER. HINT: Cinnamon sugar drizzle FTW), baking soda, salt & 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon (KEEP THE LEFTOVER 1/2 TSP. FO’ DAT DRIZZLE). Add in the almond milk, vanilla extract, coconut oil and vinegar until the batter is uniform & you don’t see anymore flour. PLEASE, DO YOURSELVES A FAVOUR & MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT OVER-STIR. Nobody likes watery batter, k?;
- NOW, one your batter is perfect, GENTLY, and I did say, GENTLY, fold in your blueberries. Be careful. Do not mash them, unless you want blue batter;
- Distribute the batter evenly into your muffin tins. MY TRICK? Use an ice cream scoop!!!! It literally works wonders, keeps everything super neat & clean (I told you guys I was a perfectionist, right?) & keeps the muffins the same size so they’ll bake evenly (& you won’t feel guilty when you eat a HUGE ONE & your S/O, hubby or kiddies are munching on the smallest one. Let’s be honest, you gave them the smallest one because you wanted to keep the big ones for yourself, right?);
- In a small bowl, combine the leftover 2 tbsp. of sugar or substitute & 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon. Mix dat stuff & evenly sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over your beautiful muffins;
NOW, THE BEST PART: BAKE THESE BABES in the oven at 350 for about 25-30 minutes. I generally bake mine for 25 minutes, then I check on them, insert a toothpick into the centre & bake them for another 2 minutes (TOTAL BAKE TIME: 25+2=27 MINUTES. I suck at math, so like, I had to verbalize the calculation). When you do insert that toothpick, please, try to avoid the beautiful berries.
- Once you take these babes FRESH OUT DA OVEN, allow them to cool.
- SPREAD THEM WITH BUTTAH OR NUT BUTTAH & devour them, like twelve. Oh wait, isn’t that the whole batch? Damn. TOOOOOO LATEEEEEE.
- If you aren’t going to eat them right away, let them cool off COMPLETELY (THIS IS VERY CRUCIAL), then store them in an airtight container in your fridge (Please refer to above comments re where in your fridge to store them. It’s for your own good. I’m looking out for your best interest).
Since I have made these masterpieces SO MANY TIMES, please see below for photos of them from all angles. Can you tell I’m obsessed? If not, now you know. But seriously, these photos will help you to know if you baked these things properly. IF NOT, BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME. If you did, well you’re a champ.
ENJOY MY LOVIES! Once again, I take full liability. These are GUARANTEED. I did say GUARANTEED, to become a classic. #NOMZFORDAYZ. ‘Nuff said.