Spicy Tomato Jam a.k.a. Spreadable Heaven
This spicy tomato jam is made with just a few (ONLY RAW) ingredients & is SO FULL OF FLAVOUR. It’s sweet, yet tangy & slightly spicy & goes well with just about anything (I’m thinking, a cracker or sandwich spread, a dip for french fries or veggies (if you’re healthy and stuff – no but really, who chooses veggies over fries?), a topping for chicken, veggie or beef burgers, a marinade for broiled or oven-roasted fish or a mix-in to thicken (& GREATLY IMPROVE) any pasta sauce… GAH, THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ABSOLUTELY ENDLESS). And, honestly, it’s so freaking good that you will most probably scoop a tablespoon (OR MORE) here & there and just eat it as is. I swear. It should be branded as like, the “new & improved salsa & ketchup of 2017”.
I don’t provide nutritional information for all my recipes because well, as you know, I’m recovering from an eating disorder & calories are like THE LAST thing on my mind right now (I need to load up on those babes & EAT EAT EAT). BUT (and like I said, there is always a BUT), when the nutritional information is as interesting as this is, I just HAVE to share it with you guys. I mean, if you’re not already convinced to whip up this yummy spread, you will be now. Wait for it…. one tablespoon of this yummy jam weighs in at… A MEASLY 12 CALORIES (that’s like, essentially NOTHING), 0g of fat & 3g of carbs, not to mention, it will provide 6% of your daily recommended Vitamin A intake & 8% of your Vitamin C. Like, if this is not the definition of guilt-free, I don’t know what is!
If you want to be spreading this yumminess on your freshly toasted bread by lunchtime, you better get cracking. You will need:
- 4 cups of halved cherry tomatoes;
- ¼ cup of raw organic honey (If you don’t have this ingredient because it’s not necessarily a pantry staple, you can totally replace it with any brand of regular honey or with pure organic maple syrup);
- 1/4 tsp. of sea salt (I used Herbamare Organic Fine Sea Salt by A. Vogel);
- 1 1/2 tsp. of ground cumin (I used Simply Organic);
- 1 tsp. of minced fresh ginger (If you don’t have fresh ginger, you can replace it with 1 tsp. of ground ginger);
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced;
- 1/2 tsp. of crushed red pepper flakes (Feel free to increase the portion if you want your jam to be a little spicier!).
NOW, TO ASSEMBLE ALL THEM RAW INGREDIENTS & create this masterpiece of a spread:
- Add your tomatoes & honey to a medium sauce pan on the stove;
- Turn the heat on medium-low and cook for 5 minutes;
- Add the sea salt, cumin, fresh ginger (or ground ginger), garlic & crushed pepper flakes. Stir. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover & simmer for 40-45 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes (I KNOW, IT’S ANNOYING to have to go back & forth every 5-10 minutes to stir BUT IT’S SO WORTH IT, I swear. Just find something else to do in your kitchen in the meantime!);
- Let cool & transfer the tomato jam to a jar or container (I stored mine in a mason jar);
- If you want the jam to serve as more of a ketchup alternative, THERE IS ONE MORE STEP. Pulse it in your blender until you obtain the consistency you are looking for. BUT, personally, the texture of this spread as is, i.e. without blending, is just such perfection, I don’t see why you would ever blend it. Plus, like, let’s be honest, aren’t you lazy to take out your blender, then wash it just to create a ketchup-like texture? It ain’t worth it guys, trust me. KEEP THE JAM AS IS & EAT UP!
The spread should look a lil’ something like this PERFECTION. If it doesn’t, then, on second thought, maybe you should pulse it in your blender… I’m not judging you, I SWEAR.