Curry Carrot Soup (Otherwise Known As: Heaven in a Bowl)
OK guys, I apologize for taking FOREVER to give you the recipe for this warm, perfect, fragrant, savoury, spiced up, cozy, winter soup (A.K.A. HEAVEN in a bowl). Coconut milk & curry pairs perfectly with sweet carrots & spicy ginger in this bowl of perfection. It’s SUPER RICH in vitamins A & C and is extremely nutritious and restorative (P.S. I always stir in 1 tbsp. of chia seeds right before I eat it to add protein & texture – As mentioned in my previous posts, I use either Prana Probiotic Chia Seeds or MamaChia! I recently also tried Salba Chia Seeds & they are SO AWESOME TOO. GAH, what to do when you have so many options? Going cray cray).
ANYWAYS, you can’t go wrong guys. Obviously, this is NOT a meal, but it serves as the perfect side dish with a beautiful pan-seared piece of fish or chicken, some brown or wild rice & some sautéed veggies (Kk, you MUST be salivating by now). Aside from the perfection that is this soup, it literally takes MAXIMUM 30 minutes to prepare (A.k.a. it’s a quickie! Lawlz), it will store well in your fridge for about 5 days (But, it certainly will not last that long), it can actually be frozen for up to 8 weeks (Yep, I did my research) & it will give you all the warm fuzzzzzies.
How do you make it, you ask? (Once again, sorry I took so long to post this baby, but now that it’s up, I’ve given you a reason to get off the couch, pause your Netflix binge & WHIP THIS UP). You will need:
- 3 tbsp. of coconut oil (Nutiva & Naked Coconuts FTW);
- 3/4 cup of onion, diced;
- 3/4 tsp. of garlic, minced (MMMMM, garlic breath);
- 2 cups of carrot, peeled & diced (BE KIND TO YOUR BLENDERS, PEOPLE);
- 4 cups of water;
- 1 tsp. of curry powder (Not gonna lie, I added more. I just can’t. It’s too good. It smells too good, tastes too good. If you’re a fan of curry, ADD SOME MO’);
- 1/4 cup of light coconut milk (I use Earth’s Choice organic coconut milk);
- 1/4 tsp. of fresh ginger, grated (As mentioned previously, if you don’t have fresh ginger in your fridge, DO. NOT. PANIC. You can substitute the fresh ginger with an equal amount of ground ginger. And well, if you don’t have ground ginger… RUN TO THE GROCERY STORE. This soup NEEDS ginger);
- 1/8 tsp. of salt;
- 1/8 tsp. pepper;
- 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder.
Can the ingredients be any healthier? No, but really, can they? DIDN’T THINK SO.
NOW, follow these simple steps & you’ll be sippin’ in no time:
- In a medium pot, heat your coconut oil over medium heat for about 2 minutes;
- Add the diced onion & garlic and cook for about 5 minutes or until the garlic is fragrant (a.k.a. until your kitchen starts to smell like garlic heaven) & onions are translucent (a.k.a. you can see through them, a.k.a. they’re transparent);
- Add the carrots & 4 cups of water to the pot, INCREASE THE HEAT & bring to a boil.
- Once boiled, reduce the heat, COVER & simmer until the carrots are tender (This should take approx. 10 minutes, but keep an eye out, a.k.a. DO NOT GO BACK ON THE COUCH. DO NOT PRESS PLAY ON NETFLIX);
- Transfer the contents of the pot to the blender (including the water, yes). Add the curry powder, coconut milk, grated ginger & garlic powder.
- Blend for about 1 minute or until smooth (You be the judge – do you want a thick soup? do you want a thin, runny soup? If so, you may need to add more water!). I have a soup setting on my blender (Breville Boss Blender), so I just use that setting, but blending for about a minute or so should do the trick!
- Season with salt & peppaaaa to your liking (OH & some dried chives) & #NOMZZZZZZ.
ENJOY MY LOVES. This one is guaranteed to become a fave (Yeah, I know, I said I wouldn’t guarantee anything, being a lawyer & all, BUT I AM SO SURE OF THIS, that I’m ready to guarantee it. Liability accepted. Kthx).