Vegan & Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
You know that feeling when you improvise & it works? K well, that just happened. I was sitting in my kitch fantasizing about tomorrow’s mid-morning snack (Ya, I do that sometimes #noshame) & I had the sudden urge to get up and whip up something I’ve never done before. I had heard a lot about baking with zucchini, but personally, always found it a little odd. Tonight’s the night I decided to step out of my comfort zone (a.k.a. blueberry muffins for days) & bake with zucchini, AND WOW. JUST WOW. The muffins literally came out perfect… I don’t wanna sound conceited or anything but like, Martha Stewart who?
Most of you will probs just skip through this post because who really wants vegetables in their muffins, right? BUT TRUST ME, TRY THESE. You will not regret it. They’re healthy, moist, sweet and packed with whole grains & shredded zucchini (Hey, who would’ve thought you could #eatyogreenz in a muffin?).
ANYWAYS, in order to whip up this deliciousness, you will need:
- 1 1/2 cups of spelt/all-purpose flour/or, my personal fave (& the one I used for this recipe), Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free all-purpose baking flour;
- 1/2 tsp. of baking soda (Also used Bob’s Red Mill);
- 3/4 tsp. of salt;
- 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon (If you’re not a fan, you can totally skip this step or add nutmeg if you prefer!);
- 1/3 cup of granulated sugar (As always, I used erythritol, my go-to when it comes to baking, but regular sugar will work just as well, if not better);
- 2 tbsp. more of granulated sugar;
- 2 tbsp. of 100% cocoa gluten-free chocolate chips (I went easy on the chocolate chips, but technically, for a recipe that should yield about 12 muffins, you should put at least 1/2 cup of chocolate chips – you decide! OBVS, they add a lot of calories to your muffins, but they will taste better, so weigh that cost/benefit);
- 1/2 cup of organic unsweetened applesauce;
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil (I use Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil, my personal favourite, but as I mentioned in a previous post, I also have the Naked Coconuts brand & it’s also great);
- 1 tsp. white or apple cider vinegar (I use Bragg’s – I put this sh*t on everything, LITERALLY. It’s organic, raw, unfiltered, with the “Mother”, naturally gluten-free, certified non-GMO, unheated, unpasteurized… I mean it’s PERFECTION;
- 1.5 tsp. of pure organic vanilla extract (As always, I use my fave Simply Organic brand);
- 1 cup of grated zucchini (I know, it still sounds SO WEIRD, but it’s not. I promise).
NOW, FOLLOW THESE SIMPLE STEPS & you’ll be eating yo greens in muffin form, in no time:
- Preheat your oven to 350;
- Place 12 cupcake liners in a muffin tin;
- Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl (a.k.a.: the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, sugar & chocolate chips) and set aside;
- Combine all liquid ingredients (a.k.a. applesauce, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract & grated zucchini);
- Mix your wet ingredients into your dry ones & portion the batter into your cupcake liners & place the tin in the oven;
- Bake for 19-20 minutes (As always, make sure a toothpick comes out clean from the centre of one of your muffins;
- Allow your muffins to cool before removing them from the tray.
EAT YOUR MUFFINS. SAVOUR THE DELICIOUSNESS. The great thing about these muffins is that you sort of have an excuse to eat the whole pan… since they’re made with zucchini, they are essentially a veggie, right? #NOMZZZ