AS PROMISED (I think it’s safe to say I’ve been keeping my promises & on top of my game lately, no?), here is the recipe for this beautiful mashed kidney bean salad recipe. Seriously, ask me to define the perfect lunch & it’s this! It’s so damn good. I can’t even. GUYS, I devoured it. It’s so healthy, fresh, crunchy, savoury, sweet, clean and light, yet it’s packed with so much fibre, plant-protein & all that other good stuff to nourish your body (I love you kidney beans, you?). The ingredients are actually (almost) all RAW: carrots, kidney beans, celery, red onion, spinach, cilantro, dill, Dijon (not raw, but whatevz.), fresh garlic, fresh lemon juice, chill powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, chives, parsley flakes, organic Himalayan pink sea salt & cracked black pepper. NO BUT SERIOUSLY (besides the Dijon, fine), can these ingredients be any more fresh & clean? Nope, didn’t think so.
If you prefer not putting the bean salad in a pita pocket like I did, you can make a sandwich out of it or even eat it alone (if you’re concerned about carbs, but, like seriously, it tastes way better on bread, lez be honest). OH & did I mention that the recipe is completely vegan & dairy-free? It can also easily be gluten-free if you substitute the pita pocket for a gluten-free bread or wrap. A.K.A. this recipe cannot be more versatile. YOU CAN’T GO WRONG. Don’t lie, I know you’re planning to make this for lunch tomorrow, right?
Without further ado, you will need:
- 30g of shredded carrot;
- 100g of kidney beans (I used Eden Organic Kidney Beans No Salt Added, but there are literally tons of organic & non-organic brands out there or just use whatever you have in your pantry. ALSO, if you aren’t a fan of kidney beans, you can use any other bean in place of them, i.e. chick peas, black beans, fava beans – totally up to you!);
- 1 medium stalk of celery, chopped small;
- 1/4 cup of red onion, chopped small;
- 1/4 cup of spinach (or any other crunchy green, i.e. kale, romaine, arugula, cress);
- 2 tbsp. cilantro leaves, raw;
- 1.5 tsp. of Dijon mustard (I use Maison Orphée organic Dijon);
- 0.5 tbsp. of vegan mayonnaise (Of course, you can use regular mayo if you don’t have vegan concerns). I use Spectrum, Light Vegan Eggless Canola Mayo & it’s literally HEAVEN ON EARTH. So damn good. You literally feel like you are eating full-fat real mayo. I SWEAR. Try it.
- 1 clove of garlic, raw;
- 1 tbsp. of fresh lemon juice;
- 1/4 tsp. of chili powder (I use Simply Organic);
- 1/4 tsp. of garlic powder (Simply Organic);
- 1/4 tsp. of smoked paprika (Simply Organic);
- 1/4 tsp. of parsley (Simply Organic);
- 1/4 tsp. of chives (I ran out of the Simply Organic chives and couldn’t find them when I went grocery shopping so I bought a different brand this time & they are great: the brand is called Albert Ménès);
- 1 pita pocket, or two slices of bread;
- Organic pink Himalayan sea salt & cracked pepper for seasoning.
NOW, TO WHIP UP THIS YUMMINESS:
- In a mini food-processor, pulse your carrot until it is shredded and add it to a large bowl;
2. Add your kidney beans (or other beans) to the food processor and pulse a few times until blended, but make sure there are still some leftover chunks for texture (If you don’t have a food processor, YOU NEED TO GET ONE. No but seriously, if you don’t have one, you can also just mash the beans in a bowl with a fork or a potato masher);
3. Add your beans to the bowl with the carrots & then THROW IN ALL THE OTHER YUMMY STUFF & mix thoroughly until all the ingredients are well combined.
KAY PAUSE FOR A SEC, if these pictures are not making you drool, HOUSTON, we got a problem. At this point, I was ready to devour the bean salad before even toasting my pita, but I resisted… I swear (See pic below for tangible evidence – I’m a lawyer, I like to cover my tracks, do you catch my drift?)
4. If you don’t plan on eating this right away (but I mean, how could you even resist?), refrigerate it and take it out 10 minutes before you plan on eating it. OTHERWISE, if like me, you could not resist eating it right away, proceed to step 5 PRONTO;
5. Toast your pita pocket/bread. Once toasted, add your spinach or other leafy green & top with this perfection, I mean… with the bean salad AND #NOMZZZZZZZ.
AND THE FINAL BEAUTIFUL RESULT:
But like… ZOMFG. Guys, please, do yourselves a favour. Make this. It takes almost no time, it’s so ridiculously healthy & it’s JUST SO GOOD. Enjoy lovies!