Gluten-Free Spaghetti in a Creamy Greek Yogurt, Avocado & Mushroom Sauce
OKAY, WOW. This one is a keeper. I made it for dinner tonight & it was too good not to share with you guys RIGHT AWAY. I don’t know about you, but I have an obsession with every type of mushroom and could literally eat them every day. The sauce in this recipe contains ZERO oil or cream & is completely dairy-free, yet it’s still very smooth and creamy, not to mention SO DELICIOUS (& I’ll tell you why soon! HINT: The BEAUTIFUL combination of Greek yogurt & avocado… I know, you’re already drooling, right?
To cook up this perfection, you will need the following:
- 180g of gluten-free spaghetti (Or any other pasta of your choosing!);
- 30g of fresh ripe avocado, diced;
- 80 g of 0% Lactose-Free Greek Yogurt (I used Organic Liberté Plain 0%, but I am sure there are some other brands on the market that are lactose-free. Of course, if you don’t mind the recipe being dairy, you can use full-fat Greek yogurt and I’m sure the sauce will be even creamier & yummier!);
- 1/2 tbsp. of fresh lemon juice;
- 1/2 tsp. of onion powder;
- 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder (Ya know… to give you dat garlic breath & stuff);
- 1/2 tsp. of smoked paprika;
- 1/2 tsp of pure organic maple syrup (I used Decacer brand, but there are tons of organic brands on the market. If for some odd reason, you are completely insane & are not a fan of maple syrup, you can substitute the syrup for honey or agave, but I mean, who doesn’t like maple syrup? Like, especially if you’re from Quebec…);
- 1/2 tbsp. of Bob’s Red Mill Large Flake Nutritional Yeast. OKAY, OKAY. Most of you probably have no idea what this is & I do admit that it sounds rather disgusting, like what is nutritional yeast, right? It’s one of my (MANY) recent discoveries & it’s heaven. I put that sh*t on everything. Essentially, it is a vegetarian food with a cheesy flavour & TONS OF NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS – it’s super rich in vitamin B12 (if you HATE red meat like I do, this is a great replacement!), provides 8g of protein per serving (#holycrap) & can literally be sprinkled on just about anything. Treat it like Parmesan. SO GOOD. SO GOOD;
- 2 cloves of garlic, separated;
- 115 g of Cremini mushrooms (Of course, keeping in line with my ZERO WASTE policy, if you have white mushrooms, portobello mushrooms or any other type of mushrooms just chillin’ in your fridge waiting to be NOMMED up by you, feel free to substitute the Creminis with any of the above);;
- 30g of white onion;
- 1/2 tsp. of chili powder;
- salt & peppa
- 20g of goat cheeeeeeeze or ricotta (If you are vegan, SKIP THIS STEP. If not, please do yourself a favour, give in to some indulgence, and add some warm goat cheese to this dish, YOU. WILL. NOT. REGRET. IT. I promise.
I KNOW, it looks like a lot of ingredients & looks like sh*t could get complicated. But, I swear, it’s super quick & easy. JUST LISTEN TO ME & you can do this people.
NOW, FOLLOW THESE STEPS & FOCUS:
(1) For the sauce, add the yogurt, lemon juice, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, maple syrup, 1 clove of garlic, nutritional yeast, avocado & salt and pepper to your blender. Blend for about 4-5 minutes until you obtain a smooth & creamy consistency. Your sauce should look like the photos below… and well, if it doesn’t, then honey, you did something wrong.
(2) Wash the mushrooms and dry them off with a towel. Slice them.
(3) Heat up your coconut oil (NOMZZZZZZZZ) in a large frying pan & add the onion and other 1 clove of garlic & fry until shiny & golden brown.
(4) Add the mushrooms & fry them over high heat, stirring constantly. Season them with salt, pepper, and chill powder, turn down the heat and let them cook for a few more minutes (eventually, your kitchen will start to smell like mushroom heaven, the mushrooms will turn brown & your life will be in perfect order).
(5) NOW, pour your beautiful creamy sauce over the mushrooms, stir well and leave on a very low heat. Add a dash of almond, soy or regular milk if you find your sauce is too thick! You can also just add some water, but it might dilute some of your flavas & I ain’t down with that sh*t.
(6) FINALLY, add your pasta to a skillet, pour your mushroom sauce over the pasta, add some fresh basil, cilantro & re-season with salt, pepper, garlic powder & smoked paprika. Stir until well combined & heated through. At this point, I could not wait to eat this. LIKE, my kitchen smelled like legit heaven… get ready people, it’s gonna take some resistance but YOU CAN DO IT.
AND NOW, the grand finale… WAIT FOR IT:
GUYS, I devoured this plate within minutes. I KNOW YOU WILL TOO. Gahhhh, enjoy!